Wisconsin Education Leadership Association (WSELA)
The Wisconsin Science Education Leadership Association (WSELA) is a sharing and networking organization of science curriculum coordinators (and equivalent positions) from K-12 schools and school districts. Also participating in WSELA are staff agency representatives from the Department of Public Instruction, post-secondary institutions, science chairs, directors of curriculum and instruction, science coordinators, university faculty and staff, and others involved in teaching science to the K-12 students of Wisconsin.
Meetings are organized by the Madison Metropolitan School District science curriculum coordinator and CBE and held twice a year in Madison. Topics of discussion include such issues of common interest as the Next Generation Science Standards, professional development funding, state testing programs, laboratory safety issues, etc. The group currently has a mailing list and a listserv of about 80 educators. Please contact Kevin Niemi at email@example.com or (608) 262-5480 to join the group or for further information.
The mission of WSELA is to...
- Advance principles and practices of effective science education leadership in Wisconsin;
- Build a community of education leaders;
- Influence science education policies and practices;
- Strive to influence policy that will improve science instruction in Wisconsin.
Who should join WSELA?
If you are a Wisconsin science educator responsible for:
- Reforming science education in your school district;
- Implementing exemplary K-12 science education programs;
- Addressing how state and national policies such as the Next Generation Science Standards, P134 licensing, Title II funding, WKCE testing, and ESEA impact programming in your district;
- Promoting strategies and methods for effective K-12 science programs.
- Minutes from past meetings are available to see what WSELA is all about! Contact Kevin Niemi for copies.
How much does it cost?
A nominal registration fee ($25 per meeting) helps offset administrative costs for WSELA.
How do I join?
Contact Kevin Niemi at (608) 262-5480 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming and Past Meeting Dates and Locations
- February 12, 2013, CESA 6 Headquarters
- October 16, 2012, UW-Madison
- February 21, 2012, UW-Oshkosh
- October 11, 2011, Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, UW-Madison
- February 22, 2011, UW-Madison
- October 26, 2010, UW-Madison
- February 23, 2010, UW-Oshkosh
- October 6, 2009, Marquette University, School of Engineering
- February 24, 2009, WEAC Headquarters, Madison
- October 7, 2008, Marquette University, School of Engineering
- March 4, 2008, WEAC Headquarters, Madison
- November 5, 2007, Wisconsin Rapids