August 9, 17, 25 & September 2, 2021
(Attendance each day is expected).
Deadline: Apply by June 1, 2021.
Transfer STEM Immersion is free, but space is limited.
Contact: Jahmese Williams, PhD
- Get integrated into the STEM community at UW–Madison
- Connect with a support network of peers, upperclassmen, faculty, and advisors
- Learn about the many STEM opportunities on campus
- Prepare for academic success in STEM
What is Transfer STEM Immersion?
Transfer STEM Immersion is a WISCIENCE program. It’s an orientation program for incoming transfer students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) disciplines. Transfer STEM Immersion begins with 4 days of events spread out in August and continues with events and informal gatherings during the academic year.
Who is Transfer STEM Immersion for?
Transfer STEM Immersion is for STEM students who are transferring from 2-year institutions to UW–Madison. Students underrepresented in STEM are strongly encouraged to apply, underrepresented includes first-generation college students, women, and underrepresented minorities.
What will Transfer STEM Immersion do for me?
Transfer STEM Immersion is committed to:
- Assisting incoming first-generation and underrepresented transfer students studying STEM at UW–Madison
- Encouraging excitement about the breadth of potential STEM majors and STEM careers
- Building community around students’ interest in STEM (these communities are reinforced through periodic gatherings throughout the first year)
- Preparing students for academic success in STEM through academic support resources, high impact learning practices, and degree plans
Transfer STEM Immersion Program Components
Connect with other Transfer STEM students
Hands-On STEM Activities
Campus Exploration and Much More!
Here's what Transfer STEM Immersion students have to say
Major: Computer Science
Transferred from: Madison College
Participating in STEM immersion will help Transfer students learn more about UW–Madison. They will get to meet students from UW–Madison and learn about their experiences including their academic experiences. Students also get to explore the resources that are available at UW–Madison.
Transferred from: College of Lake County Illinois
STEM immersion taught me how to navigate campus, learn about the resources and opportunities at Madison, and provided me with a platform to connect with other students and faculty—even before I had my first class. The program aided in my transition to the university and was a tremendous force in opening my eyes to all of the possibilities the school has to offer in STEM. I encourage other students to participate in STEM immersion because being involved in campus will help you be a successful student. It will prepare you for campus life, and will support you in pursing a career in STEM.
STEM Immersion was originally developed as MadBiology Bootcamp in 2010/11 by WISCIENCE, in partnership with the Center for the First-Year Experience. Initial funding was provided by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. In 2015, the program was expanded across STEM fields, with the support of a cross-campus collaboration including the College of Engineering and the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Educational Achievement. Transfer STEM Immersion was piloted in 2018 to support UW’s growing transfer student population.